|• Total||9.12 sq mi (23.61 km2)|
|• Land||9.11 sq mi (23.60 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||784 ft (239 m)|
|• Density||460.99/sq mi (177.99/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||301, 240|
|GNIS feature ID||0590618|
LaVale is a census-designated place (CDP) in Allegany County, Maryland, United States. It is part of the Cumberland, MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 3,551 at the 2010 census.
LaVale is located at , in the shadow of Haystack Mountain. To the east is Cumberland and the very scenic Narrows, a water gap between Haystack Mountain to the south and Wills Mountain to the north. To the west is Piney Mountain and Frostburg. LaVale is on the Old National Pike. LaVale is a business center that contains the largest concentration of retail and the only indoor shopping mall, Country Club Mall, in the Cumberland metro area.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,613 people, 1,924 households, and 1,377 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 567.9 inhabitants per square mile (219.3/km2). There were 2,045 housing units at an average density of 251.8 per square mile (97.2/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.59% White, 0.65% African American, 0.04% Native American, 1.02% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.13% from other races, and 0.54% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.48% of the population.
There were 1,924 households, out of which 26.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.7% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.4% were non-families. 25.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 14.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.82.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 20.6% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 24.3% from 25 to 44, 27.6% from 45 to 64, and 20.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females, there were 94.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $42,911, and the median income for a family was $48,494. Males had a median income of $33,125 versus $23,179 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $20,989. About 4.8% of families and 7.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.9% of those under age 18 and 5.1% of those age 65 or over.
The LaVale Public Library is part of the Allegany Country Library System and is the headquarters for the Allegany County Bookmobile. The first public library in LaVale opened on April 18, 1953. The current building opened on September 28, 1975.
LaVale is served by the Allegany County Public Schools district.
- Parkside Elementary School
- Cash Valley Elementary School
- Braddock Middle School (in Cumberland)
- Allegany High School (in Cumberland)
- "2020 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved April 26, 2022.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): LaVale CDP, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. April 15, 2008.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "LaVale Public Library". Allegany County Library System. Archived from the original on January 26, 2010. Retrieved February 13, 2010.