|Merged||March 27, 2006|
(now part of Yokoshibahikari)
|• Total||33.60 km2 (12.97 sq mi)|
(November 1, 2005)
|• Density||434/km2 (1,120/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+09:00 (JST)|
Asahi Village was established on April 1, 1889, within Musha District. It changed its name to Yokoshiba on December 28, 1892. Musha District became part of Sanbu District from April 1, 1897. On May 10, 1897, Yokoshiba was elevated to town status. It expanded through the annexation of the neighboring villages of Ōfusa and Kamisakae on July 1, 1955.
On March 27, 2006, Yokoshiba, along with the town of Hikari (from Sōsa District), was merged to create the town of Yokoshibahikari, and thus no longer exists as an independent municipality. Sōsa District was dissolved as a result of this merger.
- Yokoshibahikari official website (in Japanese)