Abigail "Abbie" B. Bakan (born 1954) is a Canadian academic.
Bakan was chair of the Department of Humanities, Social Sciences and Social Justice Education at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto from 2013 to 2018 and after the end of her term remains a professor in the department. Her research focuses on employment equity, Marxist theory and "anti-oppression politics".
From 1998 to 2013, she was Professor of Political Studies at Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada after being an associate and then assistant professor at the university from 1985 until 1998. From 2011 to 2013 she served as Head of the Department of Gender Studies at Queen's.
Bakan was educated at York University,
Views on Israel/Palestine
In a protest held in Toronto on July 29, 2006, Bakan criticized the government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper for supporting "Israel's illegal action against the Lebanese and Palestinian people." In a debate held at York University on May 11, 2009, Bakan and Ryerson University professor Alan Sears spoke in support of a boycott of Israeli academic institutions.
Bakan has written and edited several books including:
- Negotiating Citizenship: Migrant Women in Canada and the Global System, co-authored with Daiva Stasiulis, University of Toronto Press, 2005.
- Critical Political Studies: Debates and Dialogues from the Left, co-edited with Eleanor MacDonald, McGill-Queen's University Press, 2003, ISBN 0-7735-2252-2
- Not One of the Family: Foreign Domestic Workers in Canada, co-edited with Daiva Stasiulis, University of Toronto Press, 1997, ISBN 0-8020-7595-9
- Imperial Power and Regional Trade: The Caribbean Basin Initiative, co-edited with David Cox and Colin Leys, Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 1993, ISBN 0-88920-220-6
- Ideology and Class Conflict in Jamaica: The Politics of Rebellion, McGill-Queen's University Press, 1990, ISBN 0-7735-0745-0
- Library of Congress Name Authority File
- "Dr. Abigail Bakan to lead OISE's Department of Humanities, Social Sciences and Social Justice Education". About OISE. July 2013. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- "Department of Political Studies". Archived from the original on 2008-10-08. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- Stephen Harper leaves pro-Israel imprint on Middle East| by Jillian Kestler-D'Amours, (MEE), August. 27 2016.
- The Middle-East debate rages on at York by Scott McLean, Excalibur Web edition, York University, May 13, 2009.